“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” -W.B. Yeats
My clinical work in the field of mental health and adolescent substance abuse has given me the opportunity to become an effective presenter and educator of large and small groups. I have spoken to youth in elementary, middle and high schools, parents, and agencies about the consequences of drugs and alcohol, focusing on awareness, prevention and treatment. Following are some of the presentations and workshops I have given the San Francisco Bay Area:
- 12th and 13th Annual Teens Tackle Tobacco, Alcohol, Drugs & Youth Wellness Conferences Clark Kerr Campus at University of California · Berkeley 2011, 2012
Middle school and high school conferences · Conducted interactive workshop: It’s Your Choice: Teens Explore the Allure and Pitfalls of Substance Use
- Julia Morgan School for Girls · Oakland 2013
8th grade presentation on substance abuse awareness and prevention
- Redwood Day Middle School · Oakland 2010-2013
7th and 8th presentations on substance abuse awareness and prevention, and a presentation to parent group focusing on current and relevant drug and alcohol information and talking to your teens about drugs and alcohol.
- Redwood Heights Elementary School · Oakland 2010-2013
5th grade presentation about basic awareness of the dangers of drugs and alcohol.
- Girls, Inc. · Alameda 2013
Presentation about teenage depression and how it can affect girls’ lives.
- Alameda High School and Encinal High School· Alameda 2012
PTA presentations stressing the importance of education, awareness, and talking with your teens about drugs and alcohol.
- Piedmont High School · Oakland 2012
10th grade presentation on substance abuse awareness and prevention.
- Bishop O’Dowd High School · Oakland 2011
Created a curriculum for and taught a 10-week substance abuse class complete with in-class interactives, homework assignments, and family information nights.
- Alameda Recreation and Park Department · Alameda 2011
Educated staff counselors in group and individual settings about relational bullying, adolescent development, and appropriate teen and parent interventions.
- Alternatives in Action High School · Alameda 2008-present
Led semi-monthly groups directed towards student and administration at an Alameda charter high school.
- McCullum Youth Court · Oakland 2007-2010
Taught substance abuse and anger management classes at youth diversion program.
- Dream Catcher Homeless Youth Shelter · Oakland ongoing
Assess teens individually for substance abuse.